Plasma is a liquid that comprises water, enzymes, antibodies, salts, and other vital proteins. Plasma is obtained when one extracts RBC(red blood cell), WBC(white blood cells), platelets, and other cellular components from the blood.
But still, the question of “Does donating plasma make you gain weight ?” remains unresolved.
We heard a lot about blood donation. When one takes part in blood donation our body starts replacing the lost cells and fluid that occur during the blood donation process.
According to a Red Cross Report, approx. 36,000 units of red blood cells are required every day in the US. This means that with every one donation we can potentially save up to 3 lives.
Function of plasma in our body
The primary function of plasma is to transport lipids, hormones, vitamins, and minerals. It takes nutrients, hormones, and protein to different parts of the body. The cells present in the body put their waste product on this plasma. In this way, plasma helps in removing this waste product from the body.
The plasma comprises 90% water and the rest 10% comprises iron, proteins, nutrients, waste, etc.
Plasma helps in boosting blood volume and blood clotting, therefore, one who is suffering from trauma, and multiple clotting factor deficiencies are given this plasma.
Plasma Donation Process | Why One Should Donate Plasma.
Blood donation and plasma donation differ by a few steps. When one goes for blood donation, blood is removed from the body and then it is sent to the laboratory.
Whereas, in plasma donation, blood is first removed from the donor body and it is then separated into primary parts like red blood cells, plasma, and platelets. This primary part is then transferred separately to the patient’s body, who is in need.
Collections of plasma can take up to an hour or 45 minutes. Before becoming eligible for plasma donation, one may ask to go through a simple blood test to determine the number of antibodies in your blood.
Plasma and blood donation are life-saving activities. As blood and plasma cannot be made artificially in the lab, therefore donation is the only option to collect it and later give it to the people who are in need. Plasma is used to treat people who are suffering from rare and chronic diseases.
Does donating plasma make you gain weight?
Plasma contains components like water, enzymes, antibodies, and other vital proteins. When one goes under plasma donation. The body usually tries to regain back to its normal state in 1-2 days. Therefore, the chances of weight gain or weight loss are very minimal.
We can say blood donation neither causes weight loss nor weight gain. In fact, when one goes through the blood donation or plasma donation process, this burns out additional calories. And the calories that get burned out are not significant or frequent enough to cause weight loss or weight gain.
However, is it also true if you do plasma donation more frequently. That this frequent loss of protein from the body can lead to hypoproteinemia. Hypoproteinemia is a state in which individuals have very low protein levels.
Best and the most reliable solution to any problem is to be more aware and take good care of ourselves. Here are some of the Do’s and Don’t that you have to consider if you are serious about plasma donation.
Do’s and Don’ts after plasma Donation.
After donating plasma, our body starts producing plasma in 24-48 hours to get back to a normal state after donation. However, taking care of yourself after the donation is always appreciated. You can follow the steps below to speed up the process.
- Take a Rest
- It is very crucial that you take a rest for about 10-15 minutes or more after your donation. This is because you might feel a little dizzy after donating.
- Unless you fully feel up and ready to go, you should not go for any hard activity or perform any other activity. As your body may not be able to support you in that activity.
- Eat healthy foods
- Make sure you consume protein and iron-rich foods before and after your donation.
- Healthy food is a reliable source to get your body fully functional and this healthy food will help your body to heal faster.
- Understand Importance of NUTRITION for a healthy life.
- Stay Hydrated
- Although you are being given a drink and snacks, make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Plasma comprises 90% water. Therefore, one should consume a good amount of water.
- If you don’t have enough water in your body, then your body finds it difficult to carry out normal functions.
- Along with staying hydrated, consume a good amount of meals and snacks which are rich in protein and iron.
- Apply Pressure
- Once you are done with the plasma donation process, make sure you apply a decent amount of pressure on your arm for a couple of minutes.
- Avoid Bath
- Try to avoid taking a bath after a plasma donation. Especially hot water baths.
- Avoid heavy lifting or exercise
- You should avoid going to the gym for that day and also avoid lifting heavy material from your donation arm after undergoing plasma donation.
- Your primary goal should be to give enough rest and a healthy food source so it can help your body to get into its initial state.
- Good night’s sleep
- Make sure you are getting a good 7-8 hours of sleep. Also, avoid consuming any liquor products on that night
Donating plasma looks to be a minor act, but it can save someone’s life. It is usually considered safe provided you are donating at accredited centers.
Most of the people have this question in their mind: Does donating plasma make us gain weight? Causing weight loss or weight gain is a very rare case. However, going under plasma donation frequently can lead to weight gain.
And if someone experiences some kind of unpredictable result like increase in weight or losing body weight. Then in this case it is advised to consult a health care professional or doctor to find out the root cause of your problem.